3/15/10

The Raspberry Gnome

I've been putting a lot of time into a graphic novel version of Morgan Monster Hunter & the Crypto Kid.  It will be an all-ages origins story and it looks really cool in my head. My goal is to get a large chunk of it done this year.  The blog posts may slow down a bit so I have time to focus on this and a few other projects.  I will still post at least 2-3 times a week so please keep checking in or subscribe(button in the column to the right).
.
Something I've been hearing and reading a lot over the past year or so is "the project is the new portfolio".  A good portfolio is a necessity and I need to continue to update mine with stronger pieces, but I want to have a few cool finished projects to show as well.  Also, I want to get some of this stuff out of my head before I die. I'm hoping for another 50 years or so, but I may only get 50 minutes. Yikes!  The time to DO is upon me!
.
There is not a lot of time beyond family, work, sleep, and building a business, but there are a lot of ideas.     I'm going to try to squeeze in 10 hours a week for personal work.  Good bye sleep, hello satisfaction.  Of course, there will be dozens of smaller things sprinkled in here or there, but these are the big ones.

-MMH & the CK comic 
-A fun/educational book w/ my wife (my ace in the hole? hmmmm...)
-Two long-term portfolio pieces (way too awesome to detail here:)
- A large series of fast and smallish acrylic and/or watercolor paintings
-The Forgotten Wildlife web comic?
I am often frustrated, but I am never bored.   And now...
.
The Raspberry Gnome is a MMH & the CK bedtime story.  He does not appear in the origins story line, but my daughter and I had a good couple laughs with him. Maybe he'll show up again down the road.

On a warm summer day, Morgan and the Kid were out taking pictures and sketching in the woods behind Morgan's house. They came across a patch of bushes with the most delicious raspberries they had ever tasted. They heard a rustling from deep within the patch and then they heard a raspy little voice.
.
"Leave my berries alone!" the voice said.
.
We find out that the Raspberry Gnome, who tends the bushes, is not fond of sharing and turns Morgan into a toad. The Crypto Kid runs off to hide at his house. He worries about his friend, who finally shows up at his door. The Kid and Morgan the Toad devise a plan that not only turns Morgan back into a girl, but gives the Raspberry Gnome a taste of his own medicine.
.
This story had several laugh out loud parts and I think influenced the comedic turn a lot of the future stories took.
.
.Here is an earlier sketch of the Raspberry Gnome:
.

No comments: