8/27/09

Classic Tales of Terror

Cthulhu

Can't find any time to read? I hear you, brothers and sisters. I've found that audio books can help. I've listened to a ton of them over the years. I listen in the car, while doing chores around the house, while I'm painting , or any time I'm doing some no-brainer task. I'm also lucky enough to have times at work that don't require strict concentration. In other words, I've caught up on a lot of reading while still getting the day to day stuff done. The library system where I live is a great resource for audio books. I don't waste alot of time perusing the shelves. I request a book that I want online and it's shipped to the library of my choice.


Librivox.org is an awesome site. http://librivox.org/newcatalog/ They have a huge catalog of mp3s that you can download for free. It's all public domain literature. Not all the readers are great(some definitely are!) but most are tolerable.


Here are some recommendations that I found at Librivox.org:


  • The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
  • Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (this was adapted by Francis Ford Coppola in 1979's Apocalypse Now)
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Short stories by:

  • Algernon Blackwood
  • Ambrose Bierce
  • Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • M.R. James (especially Ghost Stories of an Antiquary read by Peter Yearsley)
  • Edgar Allen Poe
  • H.P. Lovecraft (where our friend Cthulhu comes from)
  • Saki (H.H. Munro)

....and so much more! Do some digging. It's worth the time.

No comments: