7/9/10

If I am not working towards my goals, I am working against them.

Armadillo Pillows are supernatural creatures that breath dreams.  They live in the bedrooms of children throughout the world, where they magically disguise themselves as pillows.   They are muses, inspiring creativity, contentment, and a drive to fulfill dreams.  They are also protectors, doing their best to guard against the nightmares caused by the dreaded Dreks.

"You have to put in many, many, many tiny efforts that nobody sees or appreciates before you achieve anything worthwhile."
-Brian Tracy

I am a story-teller and an artist.  In the past year of my life, I have taken a serious attitude towards being a successful story-teller and artist.  This blog is nearing it's one year mark (July 27th).  It has been helpful in my exploration and education of the online and digital world that is a necessary reality for modern success in any creative endeavor.  It has also been a fun and motivational tool to keep me focused on my creative goals.

I have set up an online portfolio: denverwagner.com.  I designed and printed my business cards and postcards.  I invested in a new computer (my 1st Mac!! Yeah!), new software (CS5!! Yeah!),  art supplies, and dozens of books.  I am involved in online artist communities. (Lot's of really cool people out there!)

I have studied, read, and researched the business, marketing, and sales side of creativity.  This is not always fun or interesting- but I have been surprised by how often it actually is.  Business skills, like artistic skills, are always evolving and expanding, but now I have a decent base to stand on.

"To infinity and beyond!"
-Buzz Lightyear

In the months and years ahead, I will focus on building a reliable client list.  My style leans towards illustrating children's products, media, books, and educational materials.  I intend to focus on earning more clients in these industries.  Along with more client work, I hope to grow a significant library of personal projects.

In 2010 (and beyond), I believe having several finished or in production personal projects is just as important as having a strong portfolio.   The economy is bad and the competition is awesome.  Ideas are a dime a dozen.  Having finished projects shows the world (including potential clients) that I have good ideas and the discipline to make something out of those ideas.

Hindsight is 20/20.  I wish I had started down this path years ago, but I can't complain.  In the past 10 years, I played in some really awesome bands, married the woman of my dreams, and had two amazing children who changed my whole outlook on life. 

Now being successful with my work is not about me anymore.  I am a story-teller and an artist.  This is the best way I can provide for my family.  I am a lazer beam focused on an intense production schedule.  I will finish 1 or 2 large projects every year.  I will finish a dozen or more smaller projects every year.  I have a dozen projects in development right now and three in production with two to be finished in 2010.  (And an idea list 100 items deep.)

When I find myself in the right place at the right time,  I will have something to show.

Being lucky is hard work.

No comments: