5/5/10

The Future of a Future Kindergartener

My daughter is starting to get excited for kindergarten next fall. She told me,

"School is fun, but you have to go to work."

There are so many things I want to teach my children. Obviously, I haven't painted the idea of "work" in a very positive light. A five year old should not already expect work to be a "but". Kids should be playing and learning and dreaming. I want my children to know how awesome it is to be a kid. I also want them to know how awesome it is to be a grown-up. The loves and interests of childhood can remain into adulthood, where they can become even more powerful and meaningful with an understanding and experienced eye.  Work can be the fulfillment of dreams. I pray for the time and the wisdom to communicate this bit of truth to my children (and with a little luck and a lot of hard work, I intend to be their example!)

Go get 'em, kids. (In 20 years!)

I recently listened to Randy Pausch's "Last Lecture" .   He gave this inspiring speech titled "Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams" 10 months before he died from cancer.   He left behind a wife and three very young children.   Nobody should have time for "reality" television or a negative attitude.

1 comment:

Craig said...

My mom has been trying to get me to read this, and it really does sound inspiring. But no matter how inspiring it sounds, I know the whole while I'd be sad, so I haven't. I'll take inspiration from your thoughts on it instead.